Every time I go somewhere with a bottle of wine, beer, whiskey, or whatever else, I always worry that I’ll hit it against something and break it. That’s why I decided to make a wine bottle carrier! I had some macrame cord left over from the yoga mat straps I made last week so it seemed like the perfect craft project for today!
I know this is two macrame projects in a row, so bear with me. I’m developing a love of macrame but I promise to spread out the projects and get some other goodies in here!
I love this craft because it’s quick (about 15 minutes), easy, and functional which, as many of you know, is my favorite kind. Follow the steps below to make your own.
Wine carrier supplies
- A bottle (for sizing)
- 3mm macrame cord
My content contains affiliate links to products I use and love. If you take action (purchase, subscribe) after clicking the links, I get some crafting money which helps me continue to write awesome tutorials for you! This costs you nothing but enables you to support my work.
Step 1: size your macrame cord
Cut about 7 arm lengths of the macrame cord.
Then fold it in half.
Fold it in half one more time.
Cut the cord at the bottom so half of your cords are still connected and the bottom half is cut.
Step 2: make the handle
Tie a knot on the left side about 3-4 inches from the top.
Then braid the cord until you get to an even length on the right side.
- Separate the cord into 4 groups of 2 strands each.
- The group on the right side goes over the second group, under the third group, and over the last group.
- Repeat that process.
Tie another knot to the end the handle.
Step 3: tie macrame knots to make the bag
- Separate 4 pieces of rope from the rest.
- Take the end of the left piece and lay it over the middle two, but under the last one
- Take the 4th piece on the far right and lay it over the end of the first piece and take it under the middle two. Then through the loop created by the first piece of rope.
- Pull them tight to create the knot.
- Make one more knot using the same cords.
- Continue this process around the bag until there are 4 knots.
Step 4: create a second layer of knots
Take the 2 closest cords from the 2 closest knots and create two more knots.
Repeat this process the whole way around, and the whole way down until you’re ready to end the bottle carrier.
Create the gathering knot
- Cut another piece of macrame rope.
- Make a long loop that faces downward. Leave a little bit on the rope facing upward like in the middle image. Lay this loop on top of the excess rope from your carrier.
- Take the longer piece of rope of your newly created loop and wrap it around the excess rope of your carrier about 6-7 times.
- Push the end of that rope through the loop and pull the rope at the top to tighten it.
- You can cut the top rope when you’re finished. Glue it if it makes you feel more comfortable.
That’s it! Now you can take your wine bag to visit friends, hang it as a display in your house, or gift it! These make great gifts for wine lovers.
It doesn’t have to be wine either. You can carry beer, whiskey, or other glass bottles too!
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Leave them in the comments below!