13 Disturbing Works of Art by Female Artists – via Mental Floss
I am all about expression through art. When I’m angry and I paint… oh boy, nobody wants to get in the way of that. Sometimes I will shut myself in a room for a few days and and draw or paint until I feel better. It is like art therapy, kind of. It works out that way though because I get out all of my frustrations and nobody has to deal with it.
Apparently I am not the only one either. I found this post on Mental Floss and was quite amused. Even though I’ve seen these before I never realized they were all painted by female artists. I’m sure male artists can do a number on their canvases too…
If you click either of the links above you can read a brief description of each work of art.
1. Artemesia Gentileschi – Judith and her Maidservant
2. Frida Kahlo – Without Hope
3. Lavinia Fontana – Portrait of Antonietta Gonzalez
4. Rosa Bonheur – The Duel
5. Paula Rego – War
6. Herrad of Landsberg – Hell, from Hortus deliciarum
7. Josefa de Obidos – The Sacrificial Lamb
8. Giulia Lama – The Martyrdom of Saint Eurosia
9. Camille Claudel – Clotho
10. Evelyn De Morgan – The Field of the Slain
11. Kathe Kollwitz – The Last Thing
12. Maruja Mallo – Antro de Fosiles
13. Remedios Varo – Fenomeno
6 thoughts on “Let It All Out”
whoa! intense stuff!
They are quite disturbing
Haha, a tad bit.
They ARE disturbing but I like them anyway.
Me too. It shows me that there is actually some life behind the work. I like to know both the good and bad side of an artist. We all have one of each!
Pingback: Artemisia Gentileschi, Italian woman artist | Dear Kitty. Some blog